Being healthy is not easy. It takes work. Eating well, exercising, managing stress and remaining curious are learned habits that are easier when you have a community encouraging you. With this in mind, we are proud to introduce Healthy Huntsville, the gamified, crowd-sourced, community health initiative brought you as a collaboration between HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology and Sterling Health with the City of Huntsville.
Healthy Huntsville kicks off on January 20th at HudsonAlpha’s McMillian Park. Sterling Health’s design architecture starts on April 10th at the 5K Double Helix Dash. Our April through August program consists of weekly events ranging from healthy family cooking demonstrations at Lowe Mill Arts & Entertainment to free yoga at the Huntsville Botanical Gardens to public TEDTalk screenings.
Participate in free health events to earn points and compete to win rewards such as cash, groceries, gift baskets and more. Events feature a reciprocal grocery program, whereby both an audience member and a local underprivileged family win a bag of fresh produce.
Multi-month contests include team based biggest drop in BMI, recipe contests, best before and after photo and the people’s choice Healthy Huntsville Awards. Grand prizes include thousands of dollars in cash and goods, a trunk full of groceries from Earth Fare and editorial features. The program concludes on August 25th with the Healthy Huntsville Awards + health fair + TEDx Health event at the Huntsville Botanical Gardens’ GreenU.
For press or media inquiries or for more information, please contact email@example.com.
- April 10: 5K Double Helix Dash at Hudson Alpha Institute for Biotechnology
- April 28: Alabama’s Largest Yoga Class at Huntsville Botanical Gardens
- May 5: Mayor’s Bike Ride
- June 17: Workout with the Stars
- July 15: Healthy Cookoff for kids and adults judged by local celebrity chefs
- August 25: Healthy Huntsville Awards and finale party
- Family cooking demonstrations on Saturdays at Lowe Mill
- Try It: free fitness classes (yoga, circuit training, fit mommy and many more)
- Kids Eat Free Thursday nights at Earth Fare
- Tuesday Night TEDTalk Screenings
- TEDx Health event